Monday, July 20, 2015

Haiku Canada Review, Vol. 8, Number 2, October 2014

Haiku Canada Sheet (edited by LeRoy Gorman)


Small Coals


they called us
to collect her things
not knowing
what to do with her teeth
we left her smile in the trash


on the tundra
caging a winter sky
caribou bones


speaking
in tongues of tides
the call and answer
of moon and sea
our words becoming sand


pussywillows
the swollen bellies
of feral cats


crossing over
the bridge of sighs
I felt you
folding into me
folding into prayer


red-tailed hawk
on a telephone pole . . .
the prairie listens


she wore
a stranger's hair
tightly curled
after chemotherapy
waiting for a miracle


transplanted . . .
a bleeding heart
in the surgeon's garden


when I began
to lose my hair
I wove
a shirt of myself
for your shroud


on the beach
I collect the broken shell
of myself


when we
were chinook clouds
arching
across evening
swallowing the sunset


shorn fields . . .
the midnight croaking
of sandhill cranes


Acknowledgments (in order): Lyrical Passion Poetry, cattails, A Hundred Gourds, Acorn, Gusts, The Heron's Nest, red lights, Prune Juice, Presence, cattails, Skylark, World Haiku Association


No comments:

Post a Comment