Sunday, October 16, 2022

The Wombwell Rainbow, September 2022

My thanks to the curator, Paul Brookes, for selecting the following tanka art for the "Synergy" Photography feature:


(note: this tanka placed third in the 2020 San Francisco International Tanka Competition)


Artist's statement:


This photo was taken under a bridge on the frozen Red River in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. Every winter, there are art installations along the river skating trail. This one caught my attention because it reminded me of a gravestone, and of the time a crow shattered my window, losing its life in the process. The raven is symbolic in many cultures, and the tanka represents the way chronically ill people (myself included) often try to hide their infirmities ("pretending to be sky") to avoid making others feel uncomfortable.





No comments:

Post a Comment