Thursday, December 10, 2020

International Picture Postcard Project, 2020

I'm honoured to be included in this project with the following haiku:

transience . . .
petal by petal
we let go

Winning Haiku, 2017 Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival


Haiku Connects Us


About the project "Haiku Connects Us":

The idea of a project of sending postcards from your local place with a word haiku - handwritten on the reverse side - has been on my mind for some time. However, I did not have the courage to make it real. When I finally made a decision, I was only thinking about my close friends I was in touch with.

Yet, fate was different. Human kindness and the pandemic overlapped with one another.

My friends popularized the project worldwide without my knowledge. The first postcard came on February the 1st, later on came many more. Since March there has been a breakdown due to the pandemic. I get postcards that were on their way for 100 days, they are tattered and worn out but victorious.

I wonder how many of them are there left in post bags?

Sending a postcard seems to be a simple act but in fact it isn't. Apart from financial aspect there is also time devoted to it and finally finding a postbox. Sometimes buying a postcard may be a challenge! For me the most interesting was a human factor. Who would be eager to give a little heart, thought or empathy? I wasn't let down. The postcards I received speak to me with their image and handwritten haiku. Handwriting, stamp, postmark, sometimes earmarks are all precious to me. They make me become mentally closer to their sender. I can tell a lot about each and every postcard and I am very moved. Man is victorious, haiku is victorious, in the end we are all victorious and for that I thank you cordially.

—Krzysztof Kokot






No comments:

Post a Comment