Friday, November 06, 2020

Cattails, October 2020

Thrilled to provide the cover and interior butterfly photos for this issue! My thanks to Mike Montreuil for the invitation.

Cover



Tanka Section



watermarks
paint the canyon walls . . .
my chanting
reverberates until
I am one with sound


by and by
I promise to tell you
everything
but for now, let us listen . . .
nature is speaking

Editor's Choice

It's strictly coincidence that two of my Editor's Choice selections are written by Canadians. This one, by Debbie Strange, drew me in with its musical 'by and by' followed by a hint that she might be ready to share a secret. Who can resist reading further?

Each line is a coherent thought or phrase and slips easily into the following line without confusion. The form is fairly traditional, with its s/l/s/l/l/ sound and appearance on the page ... and that works well for me. I also like the human element combined with nature.

The change of direction when we arrive at the mid-line comma works well. We discover we're not going to hear 'everything'; instead, we have to listen. I doubt that readers will expect what's to come in line 5, but what a delightful surprise with which to conclude this engaging tanka.

I suspect some people would say punctuation is not needed. Technically, maybe it isn't. However, I find the comma and ellipsis slow me down, give me time to be still, become calm, and to open my ears and really listen.
—Susan Constable

Haiku Section



freezing fog
the intermittent embers
of rose hips
Senryu Section



global warming
the extinction event
of snowmen

Haibun Section



Youth Section



The following haiga was also included in this issue:
















 

No comments:

Post a Comment