Friday, August 30, 2024

One Thread: Zoka in Contemporary Haiku, 2024

My thanks to the editor, Janice Doppler, for giving permission for me to archive my featured essay (including my haiku illustrating the zoka technique) on this blog. It was an honour to be selected for inclusion in this groundbreaking anthology! This essay can also be accessed via the "Articles/About" tab of this blog.


Chasing Chiaroscuro
by Debbie Strange
 
One of the most intriguing aspects of zoka is its focus on being attentive to the changing seasons, with their shifting nuances of light and shadow. The portfolio of Ansel Adams, a master of chiaroscuro (light-dark) techniques in photography, has been a constant source of stimulation and contemplation throughout five decades of adventures with my camera. I am forever in pursuit of the perfect balance in the images I make. In my daily haiga practice, I might choose watercolours, inks, or acrylics to paint a scene, or I might decide that a photograph (painting with light) would best convey the message of my haiku.
 
Capturing light and shadow in photographs can be challenging, in the same way that pinning down the essence of zoka can be elusive. I was a photographer long before I was a haiku poet, and I’m grateful that this early passion taught me to look beyond the ordinary.
 
My photographs often act as prompts for zoka-inspired writing, or tangible haiku moments. They allow me to study transient lighting conditions, seasonal attributes, and impermanent subject matter, and to reconnect with my observations and appreciation of this natural world. A wide angle lens helps to portray the vastness of the night sky (zooming out), whilst a macro lens narrows the field of view down to the tiniest fungi (zooming in).
 
I appreciate the following quote from Neil DeGrasse Tyson, which impresses me as being quite zoka-like: “If you see the universe as something you participate in—as this great unfolding of a cosmic story—that, I think should make you feel large, not small.”
 
Though chronic illness and deteriorating vision now restrict my photography opportunities, writing haiku has no such limitations! I have thousands of photographs and dozens of nature journals from which to draw inspiration. I need only sit quietly for a moment, and I am there, still chasing light, shadows, and the possibility of a poem.

morning worship
a tuft of moss inside
the icicle
 
Blithe Spirit, Volume 34, Number 1, February 2024
 
snowmelt
clumps of deer hair
snag the light
 
Modern Haiku, Volume 52, Number 3, Autumn 2021
 
dripping trees
I wait for the right path
to choose me
 
First Frost, Number 3, Spring 2022
 
solar flares
a spill of buttercups
in the meadow
 
Acorn, Number 35, Fall 2015
 
krill migration
humpback whales
scoop up the stars
 
The Heron’s Nest, Volume XXIV, Number 4, December 2022
 
alpine camp
meteors falling
into our mouths
 
Modern Haiku, Volume 55, Number 1, Winter-Spring 2024
 
leaf decay
deep shadows lit
by ladybugs
 
Modern Haiku, Volume 50, Number 1, Winter-Spring 2019
 
chanterelles
dirt makes a map
of my palm
 
Australian Haiku Society, Winter Solstice Haiku String, 2021
 
peat fire
the scent markings
of other worlds
 
Frogpond, Volume 46, Number 3, Autumn 2023
 
icefall
the water still
asleep
 
Scarlet Dragonfly Journal, Number 9, December 2022
 
frozen berries
we enter the silence
of hibernation
 
Presence, Number 69, March 2021
 
polar night
a snowy owl fades
to black
 
Kokako, Number 28, April 2018


Debbie Strange (Canada)
 
I spent my childhood on the prairies, and I have been composing poetry and songs since I was a girl. My father wrote poetry and often recited the classics by heart, kindling a lifelong love of language in me. He was also instrumental in nurturing my passion for photography. We enjoyed wandering the Saskatchewan hills in search of that indefinable something on which to train our cameras and our senses. I see now that these outings were influential in helping to hone my observational skills.
 
A few haiku highlights: Random Blue Sparks, winner of the 2020 Snapshot Press Book Awards, is forthcoming in 2024. The Language of Loss: Haiku & Tanka Conversations (Sable Books, 2020) received Haiku Canada’s 2022 Marianne Bluger Chapbook Award. Prairie Interludes, winner of the 2019 Snapshot Press eChapbook Awards, was released in 2020.
 
The healing and meditative power of haiku helps connect me to the world, to others, and to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment