Monday, March 04, 2024

Gloucestershire Poetry Society Haiku Competition, 2023

My thanks to the esteemed judge, Alan Summers, for selecting the following two poems, and for his insightful commentary:


geriatric ward
burning matchheads
begin to droop

Highly Commended


Commentary:

The almost visceral 'burning matchheads begin to droop' at a geriatric ward could be anything from someone with dementia, to someone having secret vices, or it can be possibly figurative imagery. It feels like an opening scene, or even closing scene, to a film or serial drama.

...haiku contain sabishii which can mean "I'm lonely." Japanese people might culturally mean it as "I'm lonely as I'm not with you" instead of the phrase "I miss you."


summer head battling another swarm of explosive drones

Merit


No comments:

Post a Comment