Monday, May 30, 2022

Burnt Diary: Memoir in Haibun and Tanka Prose, Moth Orchid Press, 2022

My thanks to the editor, Lori Minor, for including the following haibun and tanka prose in this lovely anthology:


Coming Undone

She always wore the same sweater. I've kept it all these years, and I wear it whenever my memories of her start to fade. Today, the last button came off, and I put it in the sweater's frayed pocket for safekeeping. When it slipped through a hole, and dropped between the floorboards, I finally realized that she was never coming home.

heirloom quilt
sparrow prints embossed
on new snow 


2nd Publisher's Choice Award
KYSO Flash Haibun and Tanka Prose Contest, 2016


Totems

When I live on the prairie, I long for the sea. When I live by the water, I yearn for the land. I am always living either half-empty or half-full, my totem selves pulling me in opposite directions.

my weathered skin
crusted with salt and dirt
the aftertaste
of this life and the last
where do I go from here


Skylark 3:2, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment