Sunday, January 09, 2022

Susurrus, Yuki Teikei Haiku Society Members' Anthology, 2021

My thanks to the editors, Neal and Elaine Whitman! 


first flute
woodpecker holes stuffed
with acorns


rocky shallows
the sound of an orca
rubbing its belly


This anthology also includes the results of the 2020 Tokutomi Memorial Haiku Contest:


crickets in the field . . .
we still hear grandma calling
us home for dinner

Honourable Mention


The editors invited poets to respond with personal commentaries on the theme of "mighty storm". My note follows:

The first case of Covid-19 in Manitoba was reported on my 65th birthday in 2020, and lockdown was certainly not the way I was intending to celebrate! My daily writing and art practice has been my solace and salvation. In March of 2020, I made haiga for 50 emerging and established poets whose work complemented a series of my soft-focus photographs. It was an honour to feature the haiku of so many fine writers, and I'm grateful to the participants for helping me to focus on something positive during the early days of the pandemic.



No comments:

Post a Comment