Sunday, April 09, 2017

KYSO Flash 2016, State of the Art Annual Anthology Number 3

Coming Undone


She always wore the same sweater. I've kept it all these years, and I wear it whenever my memories of her start to fade. Today, the last button came off, and I put it in the sweater's frayed pocket for safekeeping. When it slipped through a hole, and dropped between the floorboards, I finally realized that she was never coming home.


heirloom quilt
sparrow prints embossed
on new snow


Haibun: Second Publisher's Choice Award, HTP Writing Challenge 2016


Commentary by KF Editors:

This little button of a haibun reminds us of the set-up in "The Last Leaf" by O. Henry, in which the consumptive young woman thinks that she'll die when the last leaf falls outside her window. "Coming Undone" avoids any clever plot twists and aims directly at the heart in a spare and effective way.

No comments:

Post a Comment